Receiving pension abroad

Checked on 6 January 2021

Receiving pension abroad

You must arrange a number of things

If you live or move abroad, some of the arrangements are different. You can read here what they are.


This brochure provides specific information what exactly is expected from you.

Receiving Pension Abroad

Certificate of Life

If you live in the Netherlands, we automatically receive details about your personal situation via your municipality. If you reside outside the Netherlands, we do not automatically receive this information. That’s why we ask you always to provide us with this information.

More about the Certificate of Life

Euro account

Philips Pensioenfonds pays your pension in euros. This is why it is important for you, if possible, to hold an account denominated in euros.

More about euro account

Payroll tax

In the Netherlands, everyone is obliged to pay wage tax and national insurance contributions to the government. How is this arranged if you live abroad?

More about payroll tax

Healthcare insurance

In the Netherlands, health insurance costs are automatically deducted from salary and pension. How is this arranged if you live abroad.

More about healthcare insurance

Frequently asked questions

Would you like to know more?

  • That depends on where you live. If you live in a member state of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or a treaty country, the health insurance premium will be deducted from your pension. If you live elsewhere, this will not be deducted.

  • The ‘CAK' does that.

  • This consists of:

    • an income-related Zvw contribution
    • an income-related contribution under the Wlz (formerly AWBZ)
    • a nominal contribution
  • Philips Pensioenfonds pays your pension in euros. If you do not have a euro account, it is possible that your bank will charge you for this. It is not possible to open a euro account in every country. Ask your local bank if it is possible to open a euro account.

  • That depends on whether the Netherlands has made agreements on this with the country in which you live. If you live in a so-called treaty country, you may not have to pay wage tax in the Netherlands. To do this, submit a request for "exemption from wage tax deduction / national insurance contributions" to the ‘Belastingdienst'.

Related information

Is the information below perhaps also interesting for you?

Indexation policy

We try to increase your pension each year with wage inflation. This is called 'indexation'. Do you want to know more about this?

Go to indexation policy


Of course things can change in your life. Do you want to know what you need to know and what you can or should do?

Go to changes